Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Reflection

After celebrating our baby's first birthday, Charles and I decided it would be a great idea to do a "reflection" on our first year of parenthood. "Can we sum it all up?" I ask myself? We shall see.

On just another day in November, 2012, I walked into my Ob/Gyn office, and was told that I would be spending the remainder of my pregnancy in the hospital, with preeclampsia. Of course, I (and Charles) were outraged, and insisted that the doctor knew nothing, and it was unnecessary. Needless to say, I went. Lol. For 3 weeks, I sat there, thinking about how amazing it was going to be to hold my baby girl, and daydreaming about all the wonderful fun-filled moments that would fill the rest of our lives. WOW, fun-filled indeed.

Finally, on November 30, I was induced, and delivered a beautiful little sweetie at 1:52 PM! I never knew I could feel so much joy! However, when the nurse handed her to me, she was blue. My sweet little angel, whom I waited so long for, wasn't breathing. After spending time in the nursery, and having several apnea episodes, they admitted her into the NICU. Since I was still essentially paralyzed from the waist down, I wasn't allowed to go with her, so Charles went. I was so so angry, and sad, and terrified, and every other emotion rolled into one.

8 hours after giving birth, I was finally able to go the 2 floors down to the NICU, to see Annabelle. She was so tiny, and so pitiful hooked up to the wires, and lying there naked with a too-big diaper on. All I wanted to do was nurse her and feel that bond I had heard so much about! HA! This natural breastfeeding thing was quite a task. The nurse and the lactation consultants were so helpful with tips on how to get her to latch, and what it should feel like when she starts getting milk. Whew!

After 2 days of walking back and forth, and hearing about more apnea episodes, Annabelle and I were both discharged, and on our way home! And so the fun begins...

To sum up our first few weeks...

Breastfeeding is...

Painful
Ridiculously time consuming
NOT EASY
Wet.

Oh! And, my goodness, the diapers! In all my years of childcare, I had never noticed how much one little tiny 7 pound baby went to the bathroom! Our couch (and myself) had been pooed on so many times, I don't think I can even attempt to give an estimate. We got a new couch.

Going back to work was such an easy transition for Annabelle and I both. I am so thankful to have amazing bosses, who knew I was pregnant before I did, so weren't upset about another baby. The kids love Annabelle, as if she is part of the family. Learning to adjust to having to pack up 3 kids in the car took quite some time. Do we take the double stroller, or the jogger and a baby carrier? How far are we going to have to walk? Who is going to need to eat, and what? Busy busy fun. Wouldn't trade it! Once we got in the hang of going on outings, it became easier, and now we find ourselves doing so much!

Creating memories is such a large part of early childhood, and I am so happy that I get to spend these moments with my own child, and with 2 other children who mean the world to me! I'm anxious to see if I can attempt to sum up our goings on and share with people the joy (and exhaustion) that is my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment